Addressable LED Strip
Classified by IC type
SPI LED Strip
Classified by color
Classified by function
Classified by voltage
What is addressable LED strip?
Addressable LED strip, also known as programmable light strip or digital light strip, is a kind of LED light strip with independent control ability. Different from traditional LED strips without IC, each IC on an addressable strip is a pixel, and each pixel can be programmed and controlled independently. Addressable LED light strips are flexible and creative, and can produce a variety of dynamic lighting effects and animations.
Addressable LED strip vs. Non-addressable LED strip
- Addressable LED strip can emit multiple colors at once, and can be programmed to adjust brightness, color change, and speed to display various lighting effects.
- Non-addressable LED strip (analog LED strip) can only display one color and cannot mix colors. This strip can only be used for simple colorful lighting, no dynamic effects.
Addressable RGB LED Strip
Regular RGB LED strip without IC
DMX vs. SPI LED Strip
- DMX LED strips are typically more complex and expensive than SPI LED strips, but offer a wider range of professional-grade features and capabilities, making them suitable for use in stage lighting, architectural lighting, and other high-end applications.
- SPI LED strips are more affordable and easy to use than DMX LED strips, making them a popular choice for DIY and hobbyist projects, as well as smaller-scale lighting installations.
For more differences between DMX and SPI, please check this article: DMX vs SPI Strip Light
How to control connect and wire addressable LED strip
SPI LED Strips, Which one to choose?
WS2811 vs WS2812
WS2811 LED strip typically consumes a lot of power at 12V, however, WS2812 LED strip requires just 5V and consumes much less power.
These are not the only distinctions between WS2811 and WS2812. We have sorted out more details comparisons to help you make the right purchase, please click the difference between WS2811 and WS2812 to understand better.
WS2812B vs WS2815
WS2815 is a 12V, 6-pin IC, RGB+White LED color, 4 output channels, break continues, relatively expensive addressable LED strip.
WS2812B is a 5V, 4-pin IC, RGB LED color, 3 output channels, no break continue, relatively cheap addressable LED strip. Please click the WS2815 and WS2812 differences to have a comprehensive understanding.
WS2812B vs SK6812
On most occasions, the SK6812 LED strip can almost completely replace the WS2812B LED strip. There are two biggest differences between SK6812 and WS2812B:
1. SK6812 has a wider color range, including RGB, RGBW, WWA, and single white. But WS2812B is usually only RGB.
2. Compared with WS2812B, SK6812 has almost no voltage drop.
Here is an article that analyzes the differences and similarities between SK6812 and WS2812B in detail, please click to view.
WS2815 vs SK6812
Compared with SK6812 LED strip, the WS2815 LED strip has a more stable performance due to its dual-channel data transmission. The most significant advantage of the SK6812 LED strip over the WS2815 LED strip is its broader color range.
To better understand the differences between WS2815 and SK6812, please read this article:WS2815 vs SK6812
WS2815 vs WS2813
WS2813 LED strip is an updated version of WS2812B, it is DC5V with voltage drop.
The WS2815 light strip is DC12v input instead of DC5v input, and there is almost no voltage drop, which is the main difference compared with WS2813. So can run longer distances than WS2813 light strip. Click WS2813 VS WS2815 to know more differences between them.
WS2815 vs SK6812
The most significant advantage of the SK6812 LED strip over the WS2815 is its broader color range. It can produce more colors than the WS2815, offering superior color mixing and enhanced flexibility for crafting custom color schemes. We have written a comparison article and made a comparison table to show the differences between SK6812 and WS2815, go and get a clear understanding now!
APA102 vs WS2812B
APA102 pixel strip uses dual standard SPI protocols, a clock wire, and a data wire, but the WS2812B strip light only has one data wire.
The PWM Frequency of APA102 is 20KHz, and WS2812B is 400Hz, so the APA102 digital strip lights can provide smoother and finer control.
They also differ in LED type, data rate, heat sinking, and price. Go to the APA102 vs WS2812B LED strip page to view more details.
TM1814 vs SK6812
The most obvious difference between TM1814 and SK6812 is that the TM1814 is an external IC and SK6812 is a built-in IC. Besides, TM1814 usually supports DC12V and 24V LED strips while SK6812 only supports DC5V LED strips. And there are more differences between SK6812 and TM1814 LED strips, you can click SK6812 and TM1814 comparison to check more details.
Why Choose SunTechLite
Located in Shenzhen, SunTechLite is one of the leading LED strip manufacturers in China. After 15 years of development, we have developed into a company integrating production and trade, and have won the trust and support of customers from all over the world with high-quality products and high-quality services.
Our Addressable LED light strips have the following main advantages:
- PCB thickness: SuntechLite uses 0.25mm and 0.35mm PCB for our regular strip lights. (The thickness of the general PCB on the market is 0.2mm.) The thicker the PCB board, the greater the current flowing, and the higher the efficiency of the light strip.
- High-quality Resistors: Authentic Guarantee, Antioxidant. DC12v LED strip generally uses 0.8mm*0.5mm resistors, DC24v LED strip generally uses 1.2mm*0.6mm resistors. This makes the strips have good heat dissipation, high temperature resistance, and very stable.
- Dual capacitor design: Dual capacitor design can protect the IC, and the signal transmission is stable.
- Firm light strip connection: Tin is added to the connection of the light strip, which is convenient for welding after cutting. The solder joints are full, and there will be no false welding.
Besides, we have a specialized engineering team to offer technical support and assistance with the installation and programming of the LED strips. And you can feel free to contact us if any questions in the using process.
To know more about our PCB design advantages, please click unique PCB design by Sunlite. This article has described our PCB design with detailed products and pictures in detail. And we have made a PDF profile to describe the advantages of the LED strip light, please click Suntechlite LED Strip Advantages to view details.
Programmable LED Strip Controllers
Addressable LED Strip Cable Connectors
Pixel RGB LED Strip Applications
- Decorative Lighting: Pixel RGB LED strips are used to create customizable and vibrant lighting effects for homes, offices, and events.
- Ambient Lighting: Pixel RGB LED strips provide adjustable backlighting for TVs, monitors, and furniture, enhancing the visual experience.
- Gaming Setups: Pixel RGB LED strips add dynamic lighting effects to gaming desks, keyboards, and PC cases, enhancing the gaming atmosphere.
- Art Installations: Pixel RGB LED strips allow artists to create intricate lighting patterns and animations for visually engaging art installations.
- Stage and Event Lighting: Pixel RGB LED strips are used in stage lighting to create stunning visual effects synchronized with music or performances.
- Signage and Advertisement: Pixel RGB LED strips make signage and displays attention-grabbing by offering changing colors, patterns, and messages.
FAQs About Addressable LED Strip
The addressable LED strips are usually DC5V, DC12V, and DC24V. The higher the voltage, the smaller the voltage drop and the longer the length that can be connected.
Yes, the addressable LED strips can be cut per pixel. The light strips with built-in ICs can be cut one by one LED; for the strips with external ICs, we can cut every 3 LEDs(for 12V) or 6 LEDs(for 24V).
Generally, one SMD5050 RGB LED is 0.24W, so the power consumption of 1 meter WS2812 RGB LED strip is 14.4W/m.
We use digital LED controllers to control the addressable LED strip lights. If SPI LED strips, use SPI controller with programmed effects or simple smart microcontrollers without programming. If DMX LED strips, set addresses first, then use DMX controllers to adjust the special lighting modes.
The 12V pixel LED strip can be controlled every 3 LEDs, and 24V strip can be controlled every 6 LEDs. Considering the voltage drop, the 12V LED strip has a 5-meter limit length, and the 24V LED strip has a 10-meter limit length (power from one end). You can choose according to the control precision and connection length.